5.9.08

Action-Reaction

I am taking a physical science class this semester and in the last lecture we discussed Newton's laws of motion. I'm sure you are all familiar with them, but for those of you who can't recite them by heart, I will refresh your memories by listing his first and third laws: Every object remains in uniform motion unless compelled to change by forces acting on it; To every action there is an opposite and equal reaction." That Newton knew his stuff... What better way to learn these laws than by personal application?
While riding my bike home from work on Tuesday, I tried to jump the curb. I had seen Carrie do this a number of times; she had given me some tips on how to successfully pull off this "stunt." Perhaps you can tell where this story is headed... As I was approaching the ginormous curb, I chickend out! I ended up hitting the curb at a slight angle and was not successful in pulling up the front wheel and consequently, the object that was at rest (me) was compelled to fly forward by the sudden change in velocity of the bike. This makes perfect sense when remembering Newtons third law of motion. Because the bike flew backwards, I flew forwards and felt the earths gravitational pull at work. I landed on my nose and forhead and somehow managed to hit my knee somewhere along the way. Because of my pride and vanity, I wasn't wearing a helmet, and consequently felt the full effects of the electromagnetic force of the pavement pushing back against my body. Now I have a lovely red spot between my eyes for the first week of school. The good news is that I still have all of my teeth and I will get an A when I am tested on Newton's laws of motion.


Could be worse... could be raining!

My deep tissue bruise... its starting to turn different shades of purple these days.

My signature white leg, now available in a lovely shade of violet.

8 comments:

Maren said...

Sorry that you felt the need to prove to yourself that his laws are true, I try to just take his word for it! Hope you are not in to much pain!

Anna said...

This makes me sad. It reminds me of the time you were a wee young tot named speed bump.

David and Kris Taylor said...

Yes, it could easily have been raining...quite right.

D.

David and Kris Taylor said...

Katy dear, Every mother worries when she sends her babies out into the cold cruel world---and this is why. I am so sorry this happened. Did you ask your physical science teacher if you could get extra credit for your science experiment?
Mum

Anonymous said...

Tragedy...I've never been able to hop curbs, either. Some things are just more difficult than they look.

AnneMarie said...

Ouch!! You totally earned some extra credit!

will said...

Sorry to see you taking stripes on your bike, but those are wounds you can take pride in.

Hilary said...

You should have your professor read this entry. I'm sure he'd be impressed by your deep understanding of what you've been taught (and your clever writing too.)
You look quite pretty even with the red spot on your forehead. Now that's good lookin'.