7.9.09

And I still Don't Know Why I'm Single!


Well, in keeping with the theme of my blog, I would like to share one of my favorite awkward stories from this summer with all of you readers.

One day, while I was at Rite Aid filling a prescription, I ran into my old Young Women President. She asked if I was dating anyone and so I told her the truth, no. She then told me that she would like to set me up with her nephew. He sounded cool and funny when she was talking about him, and I was pleased with the encounter. How often do you go to Rite Aid and walk out with a sort of date lined up? Well I never... so... when in Rite Aid...

Long story short, we met, we went out, we had a good time, he left his visa in my car "accidentally", he never called, I texted him to let him know I had his card, weeks go by, no word, I make a silly irrational decision.

I was sitting at work with Cuz Carrie when I got the diabolical idea to take this boys visa and buy Carrie and myself some lunch. Then I thought, no I couldn't, then I voiced the idea out loud and Carrie thought it a great idea. Funny, biting, but not too crazy. So I agreed and off I went, after practicing signing his name, to Panda Express, where I bought a scrumptious meal. They didn't even ask for me to sign the receipt and I felt a great sense of excitement mingled with hysteria that I had gotten away with it!


Yes, that is a bit of the devil gleaming in my eye...



It was maybe two hours after the deed that the guilt started creeping in. I had told some family members about my hilarious adventure and when they didn't laugh but looked more shocked than anything I realized that maybe it was a crazy thing to do. Then it hit me, I committed credit card fraud!

After a few days of feeling sick and trying to picture a scenario where I could truthfully tell this boy what happened, and after I had called and confessed to his aunt, I decided to refund the money with a copy of the receipt and an apology sticky note, along with his visa, all inside a cute envelope from Ryman's stationary store in London.

He finally picked it up, and I had to tell him, in my wittiest story telling mode, how I had thought it terribly funny to use his money and buy food with it as if we were dear friends and quite comfortable with one another. He was a good sport about the whole thing but lets face it, it was an awkward thing to do! But the food was tasty, best Panda Express I've ever had! (Must be the forbiddenness of the experience that made the food so good.)

My fortune for the day stated "Your courage will guide your future." to which Carrie responded, "It already has!"


6 comments:

David and Kris Taylor said...

So, that was awkward. But the fortune-cookie-is-as-good-as-a-patriarchal-blessing thing still seems to be working for you.

D.

Beth said...

Awkwardness at its finest. I love how everyone you told was a bit shocked...except for Carrie, who totally encouraged it. :)

Ellen said...

Ha ha ha. I think this is hilarious and would've totally gone along with it too! I am surprised the dude took the money back. Sounds like a dope anyway. Oops is your friend reading this?! Awkward.

Nameless said...

I definitely remember the credit card dilemma, but I don't think I knew that you actually ever used it! You are crazy, Katy Kathryn! And beyond gutsy. I am in awe of you.

allison. said...

ma-hahahaha! i never heard this story! oh man i love you!

Hilary said...

Ahh HAHAHA!