14.1.09

It Takes a Trained Eye

The other evening I was telling my family members that they should go check out Dan Steinhilber's installation art display at the BYU MOA. He has taken a lot of every day objects and turned them into art. Jayson, whom I assumed knew nothing about art made some snarky comment about making art out of garbage... I tried to ignore it because his ignorance offends me, so I can't even recall the exact quote. Despite is poo pooing, I think that the exhibit is definitely worth the trip.


On the following day, I received an astonishing photo from Jayson. Just when I thought that he didn't get it, that he wouldn't recognize good art if it slapped him silly, he sent me this brilliant example of contemporary installation art in the workplace.


"I thought you would like this art installation we have at work. It must have taken forever to arrange the water bottles that way."

You can really feel the artists intent when you look at this piece. The juxtaposition of the water bottles and the filing cabinets really makes me think about our relationship to work and our own physical needs. Good eye Jayson! Thanks for sharing!

4 comments:

David and Kris Taylor said...

That Jayson never ceases to amaze!

D.

Anna said...

Katy...stop making me laugh so hard. I am going to snort my lunch and choke and then die.
Jayson...hilarious.

The Hardys said...

Katy!! It's been forever! How are you guys doing? I miss all the fun we used to have at work! I even miss those PMG's.......just kidding haha. We are going to this exhibit tonight and I am so excited, hopefully Nathan will appreciate it, I'm not sure his eyes are trained, we'll see :)

Anonymous said...

oh dear...I had to go to that exhibit for my film class and came away less than enthused. despite the fact that my mom is an art historian, I don't care for modern art in the slightest.
actually I downright dislike it 95% of the time.
so you probably hate me now and don't want to be my friend anymore but I'm going to go and comment on the rest of your bloggy things anyway. <3