14.10.08

Gas Troubles...


It's not what you're thinking... I didn't fart in front of a large crowd of people... that would have been terribly awkward. Instead, I didn't fill my car up with gas when I should have... and thus, she died.

I was on my way to my piano lesson early Saturday morning when I reached the intersection of University and 500 North. As I slowed to a stop, chocolate quit on me. I started panicking, and then calmed down enough to start her up again. She consented, ignited just long enough to pull through the light and then park in front of Bombay house. (Not a bad place to be stranded if you think about it...) When I pulled off to the side, she quit on me again and that's when I realized I had left my cell phone and drivers license back at my apartment. Things seemed pretty grim. I waited five minutes, collected my thoughts and did some soul searching before I tried starting her up. I got lucky and was able to quickly return home before she could die again. I parked her in a prime spot, and then she gave out on me entirely. No matter how many times I tried igniting the engine, there was no response. She was a gonner for sure!

All weekend long I worried about her and wondered what would become of my sweet Chocolat...


I called upon my good friend Jarred Brandt who is a car guy and got his expert opinion. He told me it didn't sound like it a battery problem, I just needed to put gas in my car. Dad came to my rescue and together we purchased some gas and carried it home in his small red gallon sized container.


We proceeded to pour the gasoline into the car to try and revive her, but when I tried to start her up again, she would not allow it. At one point she turned and seemed like she would go, but when I put her in reverse, she gave out. I called Jarred again and told him what happened. He expressed his concern and said there might be a problem with the fuel pump and if that were the case, it might cost somewhere close to $1,000.00 to fix!! He volunteered to come with my other good friend Preston and tow her to a nearby shop where a professional would be able to diagnose the problem.

I had visions of Ray Bradford telling me that she was beyond repair, or that the damage would cost me more than my car is worth.


I had romantic notions of selling Chocolat for parts and using the money I gained from these transactions as a down payment on a fancy seafoam colored scooter.


I saw myself riding around Provo, carefree, liberated from expensive trips to the gas station, and continual trips to the auto repair shop for broken down car problems.


I imagined meeting some man from New Zealand named Lars, Bret, or Karl who would also own a scooter.


We could ride off into the sunset together... I had decided that it wouldn't be so bad if Chocolat never started again... I could have a whole new wonderful life!


Jarred and Preston came to my apartment, had me start the car and put her in neutral while they pushed her out of her prime spot and into a more convenient towing position. Things seemed to be going smoothly. They asked me to put her in gear, this time, she allowed it and I was able to drive around the parking lot no problem! As I pulled into the parking spot I felt a new sense of shame.

It seems to me that whenever there is a problem, it disappears as soon as the experts arrive to solve it. I don't know why this is the case but it happens to me all the time! So in the end, she just needed a little push to get her going and to get the gasoline flowing into the right tubes, or wherever the gas flows... hellifino! I got out of the car, and thanked Jarred and Preston for their help. They just smiled and politely told me to go and get some gas right away.


In my defense, the gas light never came on. I like to think of myself as Cosmo Kramer, testing my car to see how far she can really go once the needle passes the empty sign. I usually wait for that light to go on to indicate when the race against time has begun, but this time, there was no signal. The light never came on...

It was hard giving up those dreams of riding a scooter...

but it will be nice to have a car during the winter.

In the future I plan on filling my car every time it reaches the half full mark so that I never have to go through this whole experience again. (I hope you noted that I said half full not half empty... see how positive I have become?)

11 comments:

Lauren said...

You so funny! I don't know whether to say I'm glad or that I'm sad that chocolate survived. Either way I AM glad you are safe and well and posting about it. And I love the side pony!

David and Kris Taylor said...

A really funny post! I wish Chocolate many more happy years -- even if a scooter would be fun.

D.

Maren said...

I love this post! I also am not sure if I am happy that your car survived or not!

Katy Kathryn said...

Lauren, you were also an inspiration that I considered in sporting the side pony, you pull it off so nicely!

Anna said...

Katy you are very clever chap. I quite liked your post. You have some writing skills my friend (that my friend was in deference to McCain).
I am glad all is well because a scooter in winter would be cold. However a scooter in Rome would be very nice indeed.

David and Kris Taylor said...

Dear Katy, I think you are beautiful with your hair pulled to the side, down or pulled all the way back. You are just beautiful!!!!
However...don't even think about bringing home a hottie in a speedo!!!!! I mean I may be a liberal in some things BUT not as far as son-in-laws go. Can you imagine!!!YUUUCK.
I loved each blog and am so happy that chocolate is not bulemic or anorexic either. A full "belly" is a happy belly.
Mom

Anonymous said...

I was wondering if you could introduce me to that Lars fellow...
--allison

Jennette said...

Katy-K. Your blog is very fun....I'm going to have to add it to my list of "to-read-today" blogs. Thanks.

millie said...

Sorry about no scooter, and the experts fixing chocolate with very little effort.

Beautiful post. Half Full seems like a good idea. My dad says it helps overall for some better gas mileage. See him for details.

Hilary said...

You are a crack up!

Anonymous said...

Lovin it...Chocolat is a charmer, I'm glad she will live to see another day (even if that means you have to miss out on hot speedo-wearing, scooter-riding men. So sorry...) Anyway, did I ever tell you about the time that I, too, let Chocolat run out of gas? She just wouldn't start while sitting in the parking lot of our old college park home...try as I may, she wouldn't start. Anthony came over and he and Todd spent many hours playing with a computer trying to diagnose the problem. Anthony finally decided that it was something related to the fuel tank...lo and behold, I had run out of gas. Turns out chocolat has some gas issues...