12.4.09

Blood Diamond

I can't stop thinking about this movie! I watched it last night with Carrie and Grant and I thought it was amazing! It makes me sick that I am so ignorant of the world around me and what is going on in other countries. Leo did an amazing job with his South African accent and playing the role of a diamond smuggler. I will never look at diamonds the same way and I never want to own one! This movie poses the question "are people inherently good or bad? "And the answer is people are people, what they do determines if they are good or bad.


I keep wondering how I can make a difference in this world. How can we who have been blessed with so much make a difference in the lives of those who are suffering from civil wars and genocide? If anyone has any suggestions about how to serve please let me know! I would recommend this movie to anyone! (It is R for violence and language.)


6 comments:

David and Kris Taylor said...

I'm not sure how to help South Africans, but there are ooddles of good causes in many parts of the world.

You will certainly have a thrifty start to your marriage without a diamond. Funny how they became so important. They are really plentiful, but DeBeers et al. give them their value.

D.

Shanicherie said...

Katy, my hubby and I loved this movie as well! It really hit home to him cause he served his mish in South Africa. Don't worry though, you can still own diamonds if you really do want them...you just have to do some research on the places you buy them from. That's what we did with my ring!

Anna said...

Diamonds are evil. I hate knowing what is going on the world. It makes me crazy and it makes me weird...but well once you know something then what are you gonna do?

Ellen said...

No need to go diamond free!

Just make sure you buy a "Kimberley" Diamond.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kimberley_Process_Certification_Scheme

will said...

After Jamie learned how worthless diamonds are in school, she tried to sell hers to a jeweler. We wouldn't have gotten hardly anything for it because it is so worthless.

As for how to do good in the world, I wrote this post on that subject that I think deals with some of the anxiety and feeling of being overwhelmed and underutilized that I sense in your post. Maybe you've already read it.

Beth said...

Katy--I tried to get a hold of Carrie on Facebook, but she hasn't messaged me back. Do you have her email? Thanks!

(I am planning a trip to Italy!)