25.3.09

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MAREN!


Today is the day that my sister Maren was born. When we were little we didn't get along very well. This could have been for a number of reasons... Maybe it was because she would always make me clean the room, or do other chores for her before I could play with her and Leah. Or maybe because she would trick me into telling her what she was getting for Christmas. (Mom used to have me wrap all the Christmas presents when I was little so I would know what everyone was getting.) It could have been because neither one of us was very good at sharing our clothes with each other.
We became better friends when she got into high school. I remember when she started dating Marco Lopez when she starred in Bye Bye Birdie. (Giggle... you know why!) I also remember watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer faithfully with her. We used to have dance parties and lip sync parties in our white silky pajamas. I remember dressing up and daring each other to walk around the block in our silly clothes and crazy makeup. I remember going to my first concert with her. I also remember going to Matchbox 20 with her when she and Gavin were starting to date. I didn't like Gavin at first because he made fun of the pink highlights we had put in my hair for the concert. Then I didn't like him because he was going to marry one of my best friends! (It all worked out quite well in the end.)
I remember Maren reading to me at night when we shared a bed. I remember hanging out in London and laughing at night when we were trying to fall asleep through Uncle Tony's snoring. I remember going to see the Witches play in London with her. I remember walking on the beach with our hands on each others bums. I remember putting on plays with cousins Tom and Carrie and Bouvis Jascada. I remember building extraordinary barbie houses with Maren. I remember taking baths together when we were really little and having a great time. I remeber dad singing to us when we would go to sleep. (Good Night Ladies, There Once Was A Farmer, Mia Jangada, Accorda Maria Bonita...) I remember riding bikes and roller blades in the summmer together. I remember asking Brother Khuni if we could ride his power wheel. I remember playing in the Hatch's backyard on their swingset and jungle gym. I remember road trips with Maren. I remember our epic trip to Hawaii together and driving Anna crazy by singing Barbie Girl all over the big island. I remember Maren telling me how to use a Tampon. Perhaps this last bit is too much information, but it meant a lot to me and I am grateful that Maren has always been there to help me get through life. I remember when Maren sent me a dozen roses for my birthday when I was in Jr. High. I remember her giving me the best Valentines day basket with the most beautiful tulips. That's the best Valentine I've ever had!
I LOVE you Maren! Thank you for being one of the "Little Girls" with me and making my childhood the best ever! You are a great mother and a wonderful sister and a true friend! I hope you have a great day!




















































7 comments:

Katy Kathryn said...

What a great tribute! Well done, Katy Kathryn. And Maren, weren't (aren't) you a cutie.

Happy Birthday dear.

D.

Maren said...

Sooooo thoughtful Katy! Thank you! I truly Loved this Birthday Gift! Whatever else you may or may not be you are amazingly thoughtful! I am proud to be one of the "little girls" for life!

David and Kris Taylor said...

The first comment is from Dickie.

D,

Shanicherie said...

Katy, I am in love with all the little pictures of you guys! I hope you are doing well! Happy bday to Maren!

Anna said...

What fun! Are those scanned from slides????????????????????????????

Ellen said...

What a tribute! Very neat. I especially like the photo of everyone in their shirts with the swirly puffy paint(?) (is that what that is?) Great photos.

Emily said...

Very nice! I love all the photos. So fun!